Thursday, April 14, 2011

Identity

I've been reflecting recently on identity and what defines a person when I came upon this video in the Mormon messages for youth. It's true that all too often we compare ourselves to others that the world told us are the standard and the example of what our appearances should be. Even more so we compare ourselves daily with those people that are around us and with those whom we interact daily with. Have you ever thought "If only I could have her hair" or "I wish I was just a little bit taller". Maybe the comparisons are deeper than the skin. "If only I could be as smart as that person" "Why do they seem to have a better life than me?". It was through this video that President Dieter F Uchtdorf of the First Presidency was able to address this thought. He teaches us that we all have a divine potential and parallels our lives with the famous story "The Ugly Duckling". He then encourages us to stand tall and understand who we are and where we came from. We must realize that we are indeed "glorious sons and daughters of our mighty God" and take a look at our reflection and see us the way the Lord does.

No comments:

Post a Comment